Learn the uploading a Program using FTDI USB to TTL Serial Converter with Arduino IDE.
What is FTDI USB to TTL Serial Converter?
The USB TTL Serial cables provide connectivity between USB and serial UART interfaces. There is a range of FTDI cables are available. This USB to TTL Serial Converter also works on different output voltages like 5V, 3.3V.
This all cables FTDI FT232R device integrated. This works within the cable USB type connector, which provides access to UART Transmit (Tx), Receive (Rx), RTS#, CTS#, VCC (5V) and GND connections.
Basic Hardware of USB to TTL Serial Converter
- DTR – Reset the other hardware device
- RX – Used to receive the serial data.
- TX – Used to transmit the serial data.
- VCC – Provides 5V or 3.3V voltage output as per the requirement
- CTS – Enable or disable the programming mode of the device
- GND – Ground pin
Uploading program using FTDI USB to TTL Serial Converter in Arduino IDE
- Connect the FTDI Cable to USB Port (Sometimes connecting FTDI Cable to USB 3.0 port may cause an issue)
- In Boards Manager select the appropriate Board
- In Ports select COM port
- Select Programmer as “AVRISP mkll”
Learn more details about FTDI Cables.
Learn the uploading program using the Arduino IDE.
1 thought on “Programming using FTDI USB to TTL Serial Converter”
How would I go about programming my Curtis 1228 motor controller with a Waveshare FT232 ”A” board from my Win 7 or Win 10 Laptop? Do I need drivers or some sort of software for it to work with the Curtis software programming? Any help I can get will be greatly appreciated. regards, Ross.